Wednesday, October 29, 2008

a love-hate relationship

said something this evening that i haven’t said for a long time... at least not out loud.

i love america.

usually one will hear me saying how terrible it is living in america, where they don’t have any real cheese, bread or pastries... where you have to pay so much money for your groceries, and don’t even have the option of buying a decent muesli! not to mention the complete and utter lack of a good, reliable public transportation system.

but today, that was all left behind. today i sung the praise of a country where, even if the politicians won’t, the customer service department of large corporate america will bend over backwards -- while juggling chainsaws! -- to accommodate and assist you, the paying customer.

i called my cell phone carrier’s customer service line tonight (i shall not mention which carrier it was... but i love them. they hear me now... and make me feel like i’m part of a network), to put a billing hold on my account while we’re here... as well as ask some other questions.

the hold thing was done before i had even finished asking the remainder of my other questions. i was promptly transferred to the tech department. you see, i’m supposed to be able to access my contact list on my phone from online. due to the fact that my phone is slightly non-functional at the moment, i can’t get it from the horse’s proverbial mouth.

well... i couldn't -- for some reason that even the techies couldn’t fathom -- access that list. they told me they would not sleep (not so much in word as in sentiment) until they solved the problem! meanwhile, on another technical question regarding my charger, they called the maker of my phone -- in conference call with me! -- to talk to their customer service department... who dutifully walked all around the call center looking for someone who actually knew something, until they got an answer that was, if somewhat lackluster and not completely useful, accurate and complete! it was blissful!

so, while it is true that i am in love with my current surroundings, and just adore this place... i must admit that i DO love america. i greatly appreciate the customer service of large corporations... which often rivals that of small-time works. i like that people look you in the face when walking down the streets and at the very least nod their head in recognition of your existence... instead of walking by as though you were another lamppost.

and, for the sake of my wife... i miss peanut butter.

1 comments:

Annie said...

http://www.mahalo.com/How_to_Make_Peanut_Butter


for you Whit. Try it. Good stuff!


Annie