Thursday, October 2, 2008

tick tock tick tock tick

Mark went to training today in Moulin.

So, today was the first day that I was home alone all day. Can’t say I’m a fan....there isn’t much to do in our little place. I got really bored. Now don’t go and say I didn’t try! I did, I really did! I did dishes, I put clothes away, I made the bed and picked up our bathroom stuff. hung our wet towels up, had a good long leisurely lunch, played mahjong and even read the first chapter of Nephi in English AND French!! A few times even..(those last two activities took a few hours each.) But still, time ticked away ever so slowly...
As i awaited my dear love’s return it started to rain. We had discussed earlier that if i would keep our kitchen window open he would call up to me (or whistle) so I would know to come down and let him in to our apartment building (we only have 2 keys. One for the outside door of our apartment and one to the room. Technically we have 3 but the other is to the door between the hall and our bedroom and we don’t use it. We just have it.) Well it started raining and I didn’t want all the rain to get into the apartment so I decided to close the window and simply go down and wait on the step for him. As I sat on the stoop i was looking at the old church across the way and I decided to go take a gander inside. However it looked kind of closed up so I walked back a bit and then looked back at it again taking in its old renaissancey glory. sigh...another day. Then a nice looking older lady asked me if I wanted to go inside. I said yes but it was alright. and I would see it another day. Well we got to talking about many things such as religion and schooling and it just was kind of messy. She thought I was trying to initiate her into my cult. Or at least that is how it seemed. She was very kind and willing to talk in English...until she discovered i was Mormon. Then she started talking more in French and expecting me to understand her. Then she talked about how France doesn’t need Mormons because France has different problems than the U.S. All in all it didn’t go so hot and I was not allowed to go in. She said I could come back on Sunday at 11. I think she may be trying to convert me to catholicism. All well. I can’t go cause I will be in church in clermont-ferrand. It would be fun to go to mass sometime though. Anywho, Life’s a bum so kick it.

On an ending note. I love France. But, they are not nice. They have no peanut butter.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Guys! Sounds like France for the most part is going to be fun! I'm sorry about the old lady! Maybe you should introduce her to peanut butter and she'll get a different view of the U.S. :) But what a neat experience...being in France I mean! I can't wait to see your pics!

Jay said...

Or rather, the peanut butter they do have is sparse and expensive, try Monoprix or Carrefour, something more upscale than ED :-).

The French are nice enough, but yes, Mormonism is a cult to them and they are exceptionally preoccupied with cults. You will always get a mixed response. They don't have a lot of neo-protestant sects like we do in America, well, because they all came to America.

Some people without a sonnerie rig a string with a hook by the window to the street so they can lower the keys down for other people to come up without going down? Dunno if it works for you though.

Hope you are having fun so far!

Gui said...

can't you get it somewhere in cans? the cheap, grainy stuff that you have to add sugar to?

and as far as the string (frère lascols?), our window is on a back lot above the courtyard below... a lot like in orange.

whit erin said...

okay so i need to clarify. i have not yet met a rude French person. they are all very kind and funny and filled with personality. that lady was a little worried for her soul is all. i meant they were not nice specifically for their massive lack of cheap yummy peanut butter. sorry :]

whit erin said...

i will check monoprix. probably not buy....but check.

whit erin said...

no peanut butter at monoprix....sad day indeed....